fbpx Skip to main content
Northern TerritoryOutback Travel

West Arnhem Land | Permits and Accommodation

By September 18, 2021September 20th, 2021No Comments
West Arnhem Land

G’day, legends,

Heading off to West Arnhem Land? Wondering how it all works? Finding it confusing with permits? So did I, so here it is.

Step 1

To travel through to West Arnhem Land, you will require.

  • A road permit from the Northern Land Council, these permits are FREE. However, you must obtain one to travel.

You can complete these online or contact NLC (Northern Land Council) direct on 08 8974 5600

Step 2

You will have to contact the Parks and Wildlife Commissions of Northern Territory to Purchase your National Park Permits. Contact them VIA email on – pwpermits@nt.gov.au

We paid $294.10 per vehicle for nine nights – please check the price as this may vary over the year.

Step 3

Accommodation, there are a few places to choose from to stay at in West Arnhem Land. We made our way right up to the top of Coburg Peninsula to “Garig Gunak Barlu National Park“, otherwise known as Smith Point. It was magic. We highly recommend this if you are visiting for a fishing trip, relaxing time away or heading out on a charter. When staying at Garig Gunak Barlu National Park, there are running hot showers, toilets and campsites that you will be allocated to by the Rangers. There is a boat ramp close by where you can launch your boat and enjoy your day out fishing.

To BOOK either call 08 8999 4795 or email pwpermits@nt.gov.au


Here are a few more places to stay in Links below – 

Wiligi Outstation – 08 8979 0069 or email – wiligi@activ8.net.au

Barramundi Lodge – 08 8983 1544 or email – baralodge@nafa.com.au


A few things you NEED to know – 

  • Be sure to be WELL prepared with food and water as there are NO food shops/supermarkets from Jabiru onwards.
  • There are NO fuel stops. You MUST carry enough fuel there and back, including if you have a fishing boat.
  • NO ATV / UTV’S
  • 300km’s of rough dirt roads, Please drive to road conditions as they are very dangerous in areas.
  • The 300km trip can take up to or over 6 hours.
  • A drone permit is REQUIRED!
  • NO pets allowed, including Dogs – only trained assistance dogs are permitted.
  • NO firearms, hunting bows or crossbows!
  • NO animal trap, including Crab Pots
  • NO snare, spearguns or fishing net. (Cast nets ARE allowed)
  • NO swimming!!
  • Be sure to take lots of mozzie/midge spray or even a midge tent for nighttime.














Are you heading East next?

Are you transiting to East Arnhem Land on the Central Arnhem road? If so, you’ll need to obtain a –

  • Transit Permit from the Northern Land Council

This permit is just for the road, and you will need to book ahead and book permits through the East Arnhem Land.

In parts of East Arnhem Land, you will have to purchase a permit to launch your boat in the required areas.


We hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to comment or message us.



Cody and Dayne.

Leave a Reply